According to different researchers, Alan warriors were wealthy estate. It was a military elite and advanced units of Khazar kingdom.
Archaeologists have been finding remains of jewelry ornaments and weapons of Alan warriors in the Saltivo-Mayaki culture’s catacombs tombs. Perhaps the most known and respected reenactor of Khazan kingdom warriors’ appearance is Oleg Fedorov, an artist and archaeologist.
According to the results of Saltivo-Mayaki culture burials studies, the Khazar kingdom Alan warriors used to have following weapons:
- complex bow with bony plates placed into a leather case for a bow;
- wooden or leather quiver covered by iron cramps with or without belt hanging hook with arrows inside;
- saber (mostly straight);
- a narrow blade (straight, double-edged);
- czekan check ( short pole weapon with the main shock element in the form of the beak (the spike) and a hammer on the butt with a lug for securing the handle);
- flail (weapon in the form of a short stick with metal ball on the end connected by short strap or a chain);
- leather or metal helmet.
Charity Foundation “Kharkiv with you”, and the organizing committee of the festival “Slobozhanshchina Pearls: Verkhnii Saltiv. Alan origins” thank Oleg Fedorov for permission to use his drawings reconstructions in the information materials of the festival.